Thursday, February 17, 2011

Epic battle of Anthro vs. Soc

Note: "Anthro" and "Soc" are not the names of sexy Greek gods, as you may have thought when you clicked on that link to read this. Sorry. 

So I hate Anthropology.

And writing that is a little bit awkward because I'm sitting in my Anthropology class right now, and I'm sitting by my dear friend Kaitlyn who has made Anthropology her major, and I'm pretty sure if my professor read that she would weep hysterically and immediately give me a failing grade.

But the point stands: I haaaaate Anthropology.

I wish I liked it, I really do, but I don't. I'm more of a Sociology person.

"What," you may ask, "Is the difference between Anthropology and Sociology? They're both social sciences that end in 'ology' that no one under the age of 50 without a doctorate blogs about."

Well, since you asked, I'll explain it.

Say there's a big empty cardboard box.

An Anthropologist would approach the box and stand there looking at it for a while, to see if it might move. Then she would touch the box, to see what it felt like. She would probably also listen to the box to see if it makes sounds. Then she would climb inside the box and repeat the looking, touching, and listening. Then she would gently sweep up any crumbs or bits of trash inside the box and look at, touch, and listen to them to try to figure out what they are. She would camp out inside the box for about seven years, trying to figure out how the box feels and what it does and why.

A Sociologist would walk up to the box and try to figure out it's function. He would analyze how it could fulfill this function better and what else the box would do. He would look at the outside and at the inside, and then he would take the box apart. He would see how the seams fit together, how to maximize the space within it, appreciate and critique the design of it. He would take a sample to figure out what the box is made out of and if it's the best material for the job. He would go through records and do tests to figure out what was in the box.

So... yeah. Back to class.

2 comments:

  1. I have a question. Why do you refer to the Anthropologist as a "she" and the Sociologist as a "he"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Answer part (a. my ANTH professor is a girl and my SOC professor was a boy.
    (b. I like to alternate between using "she" and "he" in examples.

    ReplyDelete