Saturday, October 30, 2010

Too many cliché blog/photo album/song titles have already been coined using the word "Fall," so instead of adding to them, I'll just use this as a title.

Fall is my favorite season for a number of reasons that I'm not going to write here, mostly because I have a long To-Do list (written on graph paper) and wet hair.

(Detour: I've been noticing that I have a huge problem with hiding behind excuses and with complaining. When I decide to write the "Things I'm Bad at Blog," being grateful and taking responsibility will be mentioned.)

But one of the reasons that I love it is that Fall always seems to have a soundtrack. I notice music more in the Fall: the combination of colors and sound seems more magical than during any other season. I feel like I should be taking a picture of everything, like every moment is too beautiful to not be captured; and therefore remember and re-lived.

But since I didn't take all of those pictures, I'm going to borrow them from Google. 

http://microscopiq.com/category/music/
Song: Barlights (http://ournameisfun.bandcamp.com/track/barlights) from about 2:25 onward. I love the feeling of looking at all that GOLD on the trees and hearing "And for the first time in a long time, I feel alive, I feel alive."

http://shadowmountainstudiosllc.com/contact_us  
I feel like this, when listening to "Everything's Magic" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM3ykGr6Nj4&ob=av2e) is self-explanatory. What's more magical than the sky looking like that?!

Okay, well maybe a lot of things, like babies being born or blueberry pancakes, but still, it's pretty magical.

This one's all mine. I took it from inside my car - it's VOLT, the lighting shop on Wall Street in Bend, Oregon.
And when I see glowing lights like that, I hear "Come Fly with Me" in my head, and then I sing it all day. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFw0_iRE10)

http://www.nrichienews.com/2010_04_01_archive.html
And people dressed like this makes me hear that so-catchy-it's-upsetting Sugarland song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDPw_qjhtM)... because to like someone even when they're bundled up like a goober means you really like them.

--------------------

And I realize that a lot of these things you can see any time, but I see them more in the Fall. Not that they occur more often - they're just more noticeable, they're more clear. They're more like scenes in an indie movie, complete with soundtrack.

--------------------

I also like Fall because it's an obvious, unmistakable, straightforward sign that life changes. It's proof that life has different seasons, it has transition periods. In order for people to ever grow or learn or become better versions of themselves, they have to change. They have to have transitions.

--------------------

The summer before my freshman year in high school, I went to a week-long camp. There were the customary bunk beds, the bad food, and the insane group games, but there was also a zip line. I remember being absolutely terrified, but I didn't really admit how scared I was. The kids who sucked it up and did it always came back so happy, and the kids who chickened out all walked around with a sheepish, downtrodden look on their face. I wanted to be one of the happy-looking people. So I climbed the ladder, and I put on the harness, and I sat on the edge, and my feet looked very small in comparison to the ground below them.

I jumped.

And I fell.

When you ride a zip line, there's a two second time period in which you are neither safely on the ledge or zipping through the air, you're just dropping. You're in transition from stability to going on an adventure, you're  waiting for the change. The pulley has not yet proved it's strength, the harness isn't yet tight around your waist.

You're falling.

Because when you're riding a zip line, or when you're living, you have to Fall in order for the change from sitting still to flying to happen. 

And right now, the whole town and I are falling, we are in Fall, we are waiting for the pulley to catch and the flight to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment