Friday, September 24, 2010

What I couldn't post on Kaitlyn's wall about a feminist book from the 1980's

(This was originally a post on my friend Kaitlyn's wall on Facebook, but Facebook took one gander at it and said "PSH, we don't allow rants that long!" and I was too lazy to edit it down, so I'm posting it here. It references a book from the 1980's that is, in my and Kaitlyn's opinion, absurd. It's called The Cinderella Complex, and it's by Collette Downing. If you've read it, or have something to say after you read about it here, let me know.) 

So.... I didn't want the book back.... like..... really.... because it just sits there staring at me, like it's daring me to read it, but I can't, (a. because I literally don't have time, (b. because even if I DID have time, reading it would just make me angry, and I don't have extra energy to be angry.
But it still stares, it looks, it addresses my soul directly with it's thin browning pages, and it says "Excuses."
Because it would like to persuade me that by my act of putting it down before I finished it - it won. It's trying to build up the argument that not finishing the book makes me narrow minded and unwilling to hear other opinions or change my mind.
I don't want it to win, but I can't sit there and fill my mind with what she says, because she is like poison to intelligent thought. She is like cardiac arrest or a hangman's noose to my mind, and yet she has me at an impasse.
I'm at an impasse with a BOOK from the 1980's, and I just wrote almost two hundred words about it.

About that whole LOSING MY MIND conversation....

No comments:

Post a Comment