Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Confessions of a girl who loves her mechanic for purely monetary and practical reasons, volume II

Plan schman.

So I hung out with my mechanic again this morning, because my beloved Thunderbird was in desperate need of an oil change and a little TLC because the check engine light was on again and it's having trouble starting. All that to say; nothing out of the ordinary.

I called to set the date up yesterday, it went like this:

"_______" (name of mechanic shop)
"Hey, it's Jazmin. I need to bring in the Tbird for an oil change and to see what the check engine light's coding for."
"Okay cool, just bring it by in the morning."
"Deal, see you at nine.'

And then this morning, I walk in, stick my head in the garage, yell out "Miiiiitch!" in my best "oh please sir, fix my car!" voice, damsel in distress style. I hand him the keys, he takes them, and I'm left sitting in the office with a library copy of a Jane Austen book and a travel mug of cold coffee.

I think "Umm, I didn't plan on this...."

Because when a girl decides that she'll just marry her mechanic, she hopes that there will come a time when he will no longer clip her keys to the invoice and walk out the door. She hopes that he will see her pulling into the lot and come bounding out of the office, miscellaneous car repair tools in hand, and open the door of her car for her. He will immediately write her a certificate for free car repairs for life, and proclaim "DARLING, you will never have to worry about broken wiper blades, broken seats, broken door handles, or the catalytic converter failing ever again!"

But things rarely go according to plan for that girl.

Or this one.

If I were a more emotional and dramatic girl, this is the part of the blog which would mainly consist of me promising to stop trying to plan out my life and just live it. I would probably be able to make you promise yourself the same thing, and we would all sit at our computers with weepy eyes and shaky hands.

But I'm not that emotional or dramatic, and I can't make that promise.

All I can say is that I recognize life would be a bit easier if I wasn't such a list-making-scheduling-control freak.

And with recognizing that, I should probably also say that I'm going to try to forsake some of those controlling tendencies.

In other news, I get to go see my mechanic again this week! Coolant leak and EGR fail, hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment