Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sir Cumference in Mathmagic Land.

We all have our quirks.
Some people hate feet. Others only watch a movie once, ever. I’ve heard some people have a deep, emotional prejudice against the color purple, and I know a couple special individuals who read the encyclopedia for fun.
People are weird. But when I say that, I am just a pot, smirking at a kettle that is the same color as me.
Yes, I’ll go ahead and raise my hand now, and acknowledge that I too am an odd duck.
Examples:
  • Listening to the radio stresses me out. I hate hate hate commercials.
  • I always wear socks to bed.
  • And I really, really like geometry. Seriously.
Sure, it’s weird that I draw hexafoils and equilateral triangles that fit exactly inside of circles for fun. I’ve accepted the oddness of it.
But you know what’s exciting about it? I have a number of wonderful people in my life who have looked my love of geometry in the face, and have chosen to be friends with me anyway.
Maybe that’s a bad example, because who ruins a friendship over geometry? But give it a thought - isn’t it AMAZING to have people around you that accept your quirks, your oddities, even your flaws? I still have trouble comprehending it.
My summer started about two hours ago, and I’m having a blast already. I worked hard and (so far) got the grades I wanted, I’m registered for fall term…
Summer is like this huge dance, I’ve decided. And I know that I’ve got great backup dancers, who are willing to deal with my crush on Pythagoras, so it’s going to be great.
Shout out to the Mathletes, who I know read this…. if I ever own an island, you’re invited to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment